Sunday, February 10, 2008

I hate jell-o (or complaints about surgery prep)

So tomorrow is surgery to remove a cyst from my left ovary, check for endometriosis and to check whether my tubes are open. E is driving me home and taking the next day off. Everyone - doctors included - have said I will be miserable for three days. Then accounts vary. My doc says no lifting of more than 5 lbs for two weeks and 10 lbs for 4 more weeks. Ummmm, right, so don't carry my purse for two months. Most women have said you're pretty sore for a week then are back to most activities but will be slow for a couple of weeks. A few people have said they were pretty out of it for two weeks. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. In good news though - as they can check my tubes during the surgery since they use a different dye to which I am not allergic, I am having this done and will know yet more about my fertility when it is over. Loads of people say that once you do this, your fertility is much higher. Wooohoo!

So far, I've been to the dr. three times in the past two weeks - once for a follow-up with my RE to say that yes, in fact I do need the surgery, and to get all my pre-IUI bloodwork done; once to the pre-op department for the "scare you to death before surgery" physical and consult and yet more bloodwork; and once for the "it's going to be awhile before you feel normal" consult with the surgeon,who also happens to be my ob/gyn. This is supposedly not that big a surgery - I can't imagine what you have to go through with the major stuff. Forgot to mention - I've never had surgery before - only had my wisdom teeth out. I'm trying not to be nervous - I just keep telling myself this is good preparation in case I have to have a c-section once I do get pregnant. Once surgery is over and Auntie Flo shows up, it is on to IUI. Now that is a procedure I can get excited about. I've even picked up my clomid already.

Oh, and just for the record - I hate jell-o. Like, I can barely swallow it without gagging (congealed gel made from boiled animal bones and sweetened with something - YUCK!!!!) Now, I'm prepping for my lap tomorrow and all I can eat is jell-o and broths - the joyous clear fluid diet. URGH. In everything I've read about this surgery on the fertility chat boards, everyone left out this lovely detail - you basically have to clean out your system like you are having a colonoscopy. Google "Fleet Phospho-Soda" and you'll see what my day is all about. C'mon girls, you let me down here! Just kidding, but for the rest of you - now you know.

I will check back in after surgery, but as my laptop weighs more than five pounds, I may be out of touch awhile. Hope you are all having success on your journey!

1 comment:

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

I just had my lap on Friday. I just wanted to let you know it wasn't that horrible. I am very sore, but that's about it. By far not the worst surgery I've ever had...its just sore, but no where near unbearable. The day of the surgery I was pretty much fine, day two I started throwing up and had to get some meds for that (it REALLY hurt) and I am now on day 3 and doing pretty well. I'm bloated and can't sit up (due to the trapped gas), but watching movies and talking to my friends on the phone. ;) You'll be ok. Let me know how it went for you as soon as you are able.