Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pins and Needles

I had my first acupuncture appointment today. Weridly, it was pretty cool and very, very relaxing. I went in and she took a loooooooong medical history. Then I had to stick out my tongue. That was a bit weird. Once all the history and beginning diagnosis was done, she had me lie on a massage table that has a knee bolster on it and a flat pillow for my head. She put small pillows under my hands and wrists and then took my pulse in both wrists for quite a long time. Then, it was time for the needles. Now, you need to know that I am a TOTAL wimp about needles, but I figured after all the blood I've had drawn, I could do these. I was right.

The needles are super-fine and when she told me the first one was in my ankle, I said "really?" That was a mistake as she then moved it so I could feel it, and feel it I did. I just about came off the table as pain shot up my leg and down my foot. The best way I can describe it is feeling like she had hit my funny bone but in my ankle. That pain was clearly NOT the point and she quickly adjusted the needle so I could feel it but not be in PAIN. The next needle was just a bit uncomfortable but not painful. She did eight needles in all, and only one other hurt at all, and it wasn't the needle that hurt. Instead, the point triggered a cramp in my toe and it wasn't bad. By the time she placed the last needle, I couldn't even feel the first three.

After the needles were in, she told me to breathe into my lower abdomen (if you've ever done a yoga class, you know what this means) and to relax. She left me to just meditate for 15 mintues, checked on me, then left the needles in another 15 minutes. It was completely painless but I felt pressure at different points in my body that would last a minute or two and then move on. These were apparently normal and showed I was "responding" to the treatment (we'll see). She took the needles out and I got off the table and was very, very relaxed. I sort of felt like I was floating. Not stoned or high, but just sort of physically lighter.

So, will I go back? Yep! If for nothing else than this is something RELAXING to do in this TTC journey. Plus, I actually can tell a difference with the herbs already. I feel cleansed and I have more energy. Lots of women swear this made the difference. I'm glad to have something positive to do that may be helpful and actually makes me feel better.

4 comments:

Polly Gamwich said...

Love it! So proud of you. I have the same relationship with acu, I feel good about doing it, but I don't exactly like the feeling that the few points can cause.

I'm going to keep doing it too, cause hey it can only help our chances right? I hope so.

good times.

Anonymous said...

I surfed on to your blog from FF. I hope you don't mind if I continue to follow your journey!

bb said...

I found your blog through Polly's, which I found on FF. Your first acupuncture experience sounded a lot like mine... I was scared, but then when it was all said and done.. .it wasn't bad at all. Good luck on your journey!

(In)Fertile Myrtle said...

Thanks for all the good wishes. Acupuncture continues to be good - now onto surgery for a cyst.